At long last, Queen Elizabeth 2 has found a home in Dubai. The QE2 left Southampton for her final voyage on November 11, sailing past Portugal, Italy, Malta and Egypt, finally turning her bows towards Dubai. Residents gave their respect to the QE2 as she arrived on the Port Rashid and welcomed by the Vice President of the UAE and Prime Minister of Dubai, His Royal Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
The Queen Elizabeth 2 History
- 1964 - A contract to build the QE2 was signed between Cunard and the John Brown Shipyard in Clydebank, Scotland.
- 1967 - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II christens the luxury ocean liner
- 1969 - The QE2 sets sail for her maiden voyage
- 1970 - The ship crosses the Atlantic Ocean in a record time of three days, 20 hours and 42 minutes
- 1975 - Her first World Cruise starts from Southampton
- 1979 - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II makes first official visit to the UAE, meeting with Shaikh Rashid, where she inaugurates new Municipality building.
- 1982 - The QE2 is requisitioned by the British Government to act as a floating hospital and troopship during the Falklands campaign
- 1990 - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II becomes the first reigning monarch to sail on a commercial liner alongside passengers
- 2002 - The ship becomes the first to complete 5 million nautical miles
- 2008 - The QE2 is given a royal welcome in Dubai - her new home.